Sunday, March 7, 2010

Going for a Drive to Replenish


One thing that is difficult for me as a radio DJ turned entrepreneur, is forcing myself to get away from work.

My business partner and husband, George, is the same way. We work through the week. We work through the weekend. I can work late at night when I can't sleep. George can work early in the morning when he wakes up and can't go back to sleep. It is nice that we can be productive whenever we want.

But sometimes it begins to be too much. Working all the time can have a negative effect on productivity. As we say at Bigg Success, you have to mix work AND play to have a fully balanced life. What the heck are we working so hard for if we don't take time for ourselves?

One way that George and I like to "play" is to go for a drive in the country. We just choose a direction and head toward a group of trees to find water. While on our drive, we get lost in the beauty. The expansive skyline, the open fields, the hawks floating overhead, and the winding rivers.

Yesterday it was sunny and 50, a real treat after months of cold, cloudy days. We decided to seize the moment and get away from our computers and take it all in. We drove for a little over an hour and stopped along the side of the road to get a good look at the Sangamon River.

Stepping out of the car onto the soft ground, I could immediately smell spring in the air. I looked up at the sun as it warmed my face. The picture in this blog post is one of the best I took, a sunbeam sneaking in through the thick trees along the swollen banks of the Sangamon River, helping to melt away winter. You can see more pictures in my Flickr set.

Nature gets us outside of ourselves and our work. It is relaxing and replenishing. There is always more work to be done, but sometimes we just HAVE to take time to stop and take in the wonders of life.

When was the last time you took some time away just for you? What will you do to get away from it all?

Thanks so much for reading,

- Mary-Lynn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.