Thursday, May 21, 2009

Did you curse over Adam Lambert?


You could tell just by monitoring Twitter that the American Idol Finale was going to be down to the wire. Adam Lambert and Kris Allen both trending on Twitter during the day of and still even today.

I tweeted once during the show:


Now, I expected Adam Lambert to win. I love rock 'n roll and that guy has a ROCKIN' voice! Geez, he seemed like a superstar singing with legendary rockers KISS and Queen.

Sure I was disappointed he lost. I didn't tweet my feelings...but I did monitor Twitter and those tweeters who did. The first tweet I saw was from a woman who started her tweet by dropping the "f" bomb. My first thought: Do you really want to use that kind of language to represent yourself in the social media space?

Believe me, I'm no prude and I've used the word myself...but only around close friends and usually after a few drinks...while talking about politics. I really check what I say in the social media world, much like I do in the offline world. Partly because I like to walk the line between personal & professional, also because I have a brand online through Bigg Success, which I am always a representative of where ever I am.

Could you imagine having a potential client or employer google search or twitter search your name and see your potty-mouth twitters? Do you think that will get you the job? I don't.

It's easy to drink the social media kool-aid and join in on a passionate online discussion...but before you start typing curse words, you might want to just cool off.

- Mary-Lynn
-----
Hear my daily podcast The Bigg Success Show

Follow me on Twitter @marylynn3

1 comment:

Amy said...

I feel the same way. I can turn the air a bright shade of cobalt with my language, but on faceboon and my blog, I keep it clean and diplomatic. If I have a complaint, I will make it sure it is non specific and about a thing or situation, not a person. I will also make sure not to complain about family of friends on facebook, as I have seen others do. If I'm not willing to say it to the person I'm complaining about, I caertainly won't post it for the rest of the world to see. Yikes! Our moms were right, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, and if you wouldn't want it said around your kid, don't say it in public.