The news is devastating: Wild fires force 500,000 to flee SoCal; Over a thousand homes/businesses burn in San Diego and this is just a start.
As I watch the news and scan the internet, I feel so terrible for all the people who are losing their homes and possessions.
Which leads to the question: What would you take if you had to evacuate?
Obviously, first and foremost would be my pets and supplies for them. Then what? Here's what I would throw in my car:
- My index cards that have all of my login/passwords
- My backup hard-drive (I have an old desktop computer, which I wouldn't pack)
- My Buffet clarinet
- A selection of jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, a jacket, 2 pair of shoes
- My makeup and my curling iron
- My jewelry in plastic bags
- My birth certificate, checkbook, passport, and other important papers
- My cellphone and ONE purse
- Some food
-My favorite plant
That's the practical stuff. After that, it would be a free-for-all. I'd grab this and that. So many things we keep have fond memories to go along with them. It's why we keep them, and move them from place to place. Like:
- My mom's BB King album
-Old air-checks on cassette from my radio days
- Pictures back before digital
- An old 8-track tape that mom and dad recorded of my sister and me when we were little
- Family DVD's
- Christmas ornaments with special meaning
The list goes on and on.
And then there's the home itself. All the memories. All the decor just the way you liked it. You're refuge...Gone.
My heart goes out to everyone in SoCal. I can't imagine what you are going through, and I'm lucky I don't have to. Please be safe.