Monday, April 25, 2011

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Tracking Me

Sing the title of my post to Rockwell, Somebody's Watching Me. Pretty fitting in light of the news that Apple & Google are tracking your location on your cell phone, whether your using GPS to get to a meeting, or resting comfortably at home. And you are being tracked even if you turn off location-based applications.

I don't know about you, but I haven't dumped my smart phone upon hearing the news.

It seems we really don't have full privacy anymore. Our desire for convenient technology trumps our expectation to live confidentially.

I've been using Gmail for years now. I'm a huge fan of Facebook. They have information on me beyond what I know, or want to know.

The difference between Gmail and Facebook, is that those services are free. In exchange for me using their service, I have to give up some data.

But when it comes to iPhones and Androids...we pay for those. We purchase the phone, and pay a service provider to utilize the goodies that come with it. So, why aren't we asked to "opt-in" to any type of tracking service? I just think that when I pay you for something, you don't have the right to secretly mine information from me.

Do you think you are entitled to your privacy when you pay for a service vs. use a service for free?

- Mary-Lynn

No comments: