Monday, April 27, 2009

Hit Me with Your Best Flu Shot

The last time I had the flu, I had all the symptoms including the shakes that made my teeth chatter for 4 whole days! That was 5 years ago. After that bout of the flu (and I would get it every year) I decided that I would get a flu shot. I have been flu-free ever since...knock on wood.

So, as I've been taking in the ever increasing information about swine flu, I thought I had a leg up since I'd been vaccinated for influenza. In fact, I was feeling pretty good until Lou Dobbs brought on his guest Dr. Anne Schuchat from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, who said the seasonal flu shot will not protect you from swine flu. What?!?!

Maybe she's wrong.

Then, my Twitter friend @WallStSource posted a link to Sanjay Gupta's blog where you can get answers to FAQ's on swine flu. The post says the normal influenza vaccine may offer some protection.

Well I'll be darned.

Dr. Schuchat says that we're now growing the swine flu virus in the U.S. so we can create a new vaccine. Another Doctor on another news show says vaccines usually take 8-9 months to make, but they'll do a rush on this one.

However you do that.

All I know is that back in October when I got my shot, I walked into CVS and there was no waiting. It was great. I filled out the paper, wrote my check, felt a little sting and I was done. Can you imagine the competition to get a shot once they have a new vaccine out?

Put up your dukes, lets get down to it!

- Mary-Lynn

(Image by Lance McCord,CC 2.0)

No comments: